Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost is a favorite poem of many and has inspired many lovely tables already, but I wanted to try a snowy woods table also.


Photobucket


Along with the poem's inspiration, I was inspired by pine cones or pinecones - it seems both spellings are correct. I have always loved pine cones - in fact when my husband and I picked our businesses logo we chose a pine cone.


So here is my snowy wood/pine cone table:


Photobucket


I started with my slightly off-white tablecloth and a beaded snowflake runner. For my "woods" I placed a small pine tree (faux) and covered the terracotta pot in cheesecloth. I placed small snowflake ornaments on the branches. I found these at Tuesday Morning earlier this year. I flanked the pine tree with golden pine cone trees from Target. Then around the base I scattered some pine cone ornaments in sliver and gold. I also threw in a few acorn ornaments while I was at it. I also used wood grained mercury glass votive candleholders purchased from Target a few years ago.


 Photobucket


Photobucket


At each place setting, I started with my very favorite beaded place mats -honestly, how did I live without them? On top of that I added a wooden look charger bought at Walmart this fall. Then I used some plates I bought from Target's holiday section this year called Birchwood Chalet. As you can see they have embossed pine cones on them.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


At each place, I put a snowy tree candle that I found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. For stemware I used Fostoria Heritage iced beverage glasses because they remind me of icicles and pewter goblets. My flatware is Betsy Patterson by Kirk Stieff which I inherited from my grandmother. And I used off white napkins with pine cone napkin rings from Bed, Bath and Beyond.


Photobucket


On my mantle, I used my ornament tree with snowflake ornaments, surrounded by snowflake candles and snowflake tea lights.


Photobucket


Photobucket


I hope you have enjoyed my take on Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. 


The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Photobucket

I will be linking to Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday!

20 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Jewel -- this is so pretty -- I love your winter walk through the woods tablescape. I saw those pretty plates at Target and I love the way they look on your pretty table, I just adore those little acorns, I need to find some --- and your dining room is such an elegant setting! Thanks for stopping by!

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi CJ,
Love your new table accessories. I spotted the Wally World chargers right away. I was planning to buy some when they were marked down, but they were all gone when I checked.

The pine cone embossed plates are perfect for winter tablescapes.

I have round beaded mats that are similar to yours. They always add a nice touch to the table.

Kathleen Ellis said...

What a lovely table! and you have had extra inspiration with all that wintry weather, haven't you! I love your white pinecone embossed plates and the sparkly placemats...they look like ice!
Have a most beautiful day!
;-D Kathleen

Marlis said...

oooh love those plates. your table is a winter wonderland. You carried it out perfectly.

Maryrose said...

Hi
Oh so pretty, love those dishes and your themed table is absolute perfection :)
Maryrose

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

A very pretty tablescape! Glad you included a closeup of your wonderful center decorations!

xinex said...

What a beautiful woodsy tablescape! I love your centerpiece and your napkin rings. The plates are perfect for the theme...Christine

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Loved seeing this pretty tablescape, and those plates! I am in love with them. I didn't see anything like that at our local store. They are wonderful. It's the perfect woodsy settting to dine.

Hope you will drop by and visit me. I'm having a drawing for china, and I forgot to mention it in my linky. TBS, I guess (Tired Brain Syndrome). LOL!

Happy Tablescape Thursday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Entertaining Women said...

Your pine cone dinnerware is just wonderful; you've elevated the humble pine cone to new heights. The Stieff flatware is such a special treasure. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Denise said...

That beaded table runner is to die for.

I like how you combined the woodsy things with the glitzy silvery things and made it all work.

Lovely design.

The Decorative Dreamer said...

I love your pinecone dinnerware! I haven't seen those dishes before they are wonderful. Great job on the centerpiece too! Beautiful winter table scape!

Donnie said...

Your pine cone dinnerware is so unusual. I just love your table.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

A very lovely and elegant table.
Love all your pinecones and especially your pinecone plates, how neat, you can use them in fall or winter. Very nice!!
Blessings, Nellie

Debbie said...

Oh, I would love to have that pinecone dinnerware. (BTW, I didn't know that there were two spellings. Never thought about it)

I scrolled through this several times to see all the different pinecone/pine cone extras. It's just wonderful!

And I DO love that poem and poet.

Kathleen said...

Love those pine cone plates! Pretty table, Jewel.
We have so much snow no one can get out to stop by! :)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a gorgeous table you've set. I adore all the pinecones, and those lovely dishes to match, what treasures. Your napkin rings stole my heart. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Hi Jewel! What a beautiful table! I love your pretty dishes with the pine cones and the tiny little cones by each setting is so sweet! Everything looks gorgeous. Thank you for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Jewel, this is so pretty. I love that china. I've never seen it before. I'd love to walk through THESE woods. They are beautiful. I don't think I saw any information about that pretty, sparkly table runner. Love it. laurie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Ooops! Forgot to tell you that your mantel looks stunning! laurie

Sue said...

Hi Jewell....I haven't been by in awhile....I was away for a month and while I was gone I had my e-mail address stolen from me on Facebook....I got wiped off the internet like I died....I always enjoy seeing your beautiful DR...The pinecone plates are lovely, they would look great in my great room as my house has a woodsy theme to it....I will have to keep an eye out to see if I can find them anywhere....Like I need more dishes like a hole in the head....Hope your New Year is going well!! Sue.