Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Cake Runneth Over

 For my Bridge Club dessert I decided to serve Rum Cake and fruit. I made my cake in a new toy, er, necessary cake pan that I just got. I decided to serve the cake and the fruit on the same platter and here it is:

Photobucket

Photobucket

My rum cake is the tried and true Bicardi Cake recipe:

1 box yellow Pudding in the mix cake mix (I can never find the non-pudding kind anymore)
3 eggs
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. rum (I use light - the recipe calls for dark, so use what you like)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare pan with butter and flour, Wilton's Cake Release or Baker's Joy spray
Mix ingredients until combined. Then beat on medium 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 50 mins to 1 hour until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool 15 mins in pan.

Prepare glaze:

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. rum

Bring to boil and let boil for 5 mins.

Pour most of glaze over warm cake still in pan and let it absorb. Then turn cake out and pour the rest on the top of the cake.

Here is my new pan:

Photobucket

And here is a closer look at the cake:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am linking to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. Be sure and check out all the wonderful ideas on her site!

8 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh wow, not only does it look fantastic, but it sounds yummy. I really do need to make this one. I absolutely love your cake mold. What a fabulous find that is. Hugs, marty

Kathleen said...

I love that pan! I saw it at the WSonoma outlet, but I resisted as I had already bought the harvest pan by Nordic, and it was so much less!
Maybe when they mark them down lower I will get it.
It looks so pretty!
Did you see the one I got? I did a post on it.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Jewel, that cake is beautiful! Almost looks too good to eat! Now I want that cake pan. I usually make a rum cake for T'giving anyway. Love the way you surrounded the cake with fruit. The whole platter looks so pretty. laurie

xinex said...

This is so pretty. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Jewel. Perfect pan for Thanksgiving...Christine

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a great cake pan! Oh, I want one of those. I could not have resisted buying it no matter how many others I had (but then I can pretty much justify anything if I really want it). Lovely display of cake and fruit. I'm sure your guests were thrilled.

Jessa said...

What a beautiful cake mold. What a treat for your guests!

Holly Lefevre said...

It looks beautiful! And sounds fabulous too!

Lady Katherine said...

Oh, My I do love this cake! it is wonderful! I make a rum cake wish I had this pan for Thanksgiving!