Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday - Smoky Mtn Camping

It's time for Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. Be sure and visit her to see all the wonderful posts!
Photobucket

I didn't make any of my pictures smaller, so they will all probably be cut off on the right. Please click the picture if you want the full view!!!

After we dropped our younger daughter off at college, DH & I headed for the NC mountains. We thought it would be a nice buffer before coming home to our newly empty nest.

We stayed at Deep Creek Campground in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park outside of Bryson City, NC. It was beautiful and the weather was great!!!

Here was the view from our campsite right on Deep Creek.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Chimneys picnic area is right on the Pigeon River in the National Park.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the way to Balsam Mountain, we saw this herd of elk!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then on the way to Clingman's Dome, we saw this bear. (We were in our car or it would have been scary instead of exciting!)

Photobucket

And of course there were fruits and flowers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This trip was my husband's idea and I will say it was an excellent one!!!!

Now visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. :D Jewel

17 comments:

Sue said...

What great pictures....you have nerve camping somewhere where you had a bear sighting!! It was a big one....We on occasion have bears wandering down from the North Georgia mountains but luckily we have never seen one....

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Jewel,
What a great post!
We were right there in June, touring Chimney Rock. I have some of those same pics! It's so gorgeous, it takes your breath away! The pic of the elk is outstanding and the bear, well I was excited too when I saw one in my car. It's when he came into my yard and I was out there with no protection that I got freaked out! Hugs, Cindy

Martha said...

What a beautiful place and what beautiful pictures!

Cass @ That Old House said...

gorgeous pictures -- what a brilliant way to make your transition from full to empty nest!

It's an adjustment, that's for sure.

That bear? EEEEEEEKKK!!! I confess I'd have been out of there in a flash. Can't take the city out of me that much!
Cass

Hootin Anni said...

One word...........WOW!!!!!

MY Outdoor Wednesday is now posted if you'd like to stop by for a visit. WEATHER or not, here it comes! Finally!!

My name is Riet said...

I love camping but wasn't this a bit scary. Have a nice day

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the images you chose to share with us today. I hope you had as good a time experiencing them as I did vicariously enjoying them. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Love Bears All Things said...

This is a good time of year to visit. My parents used to camp in Bryson City. I'm not sure what camp ground. They went for the homecoming of a quartet group. Honey Bear and I had a picnic there by the water on our way to Pigeon Forge where we rented a cabin several years ago.
Loved seeing the pictures. It looks like a peaceful place. Bless your husband because I think this was just the remedy for the melancholy of leaving your young one at college.
Mama Bear

Becky K. said...

What wonderful photos you got.

I love the water and the elk!

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Your trip was everything a camping experience should be. It was wonderful that you had an elk and a bear sighting. The views are spectacular as well.

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful pictures of all things wild!! I have never seen a wild animal in person except at the zoo and I am terribly frightend to even go hiking where there might be even a coyote. But you got some great shots.

My daughter went away to college last week. She and I are still crying and emailing when we aren't on the phone! Best of luck to you with your empty nest. I don't like mine.

xoxo
Janie

xinex said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Amazing capture of the wild life and that creek looks gorgoeus. I can hear the water gushing and it is so relaxing!...Christine

Diana LaMarre said...

What a great nature trip. I am not a camper (especially with all that wildlife around), but it sure it interesting to see your pictures.
I don't think I could sleep if I knew bear were that close!

Anonymous said...

Morning, Jewel! Glad you're back! What beautiful pictures! Nature is amazing, isn't it? All the creatures are such a treat to see. Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Its So Very Cheri said...

That looked so relaxing until I saw the bear.

My blog has just been growing like a crazy weed and I haven't been able to get by for as many visits. I miss all my blog friends.
Come for a visit and see both of my new parties for the week. They are up every week and I hope you will participate.

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh these pictures are wonderful. Those streams; the flowers; the wildlife. I feel like I've been looking through National Geographic! Beautiful. laurie

Miss Janice said...

Okay, I must be honest and say I don't do camping...even as a child/Brownie Scout--it just scared me. So does the bear! Pretty photos though:)