Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday

For Metamorphosis Monday hosted by Susan at BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/
Photobucket

Here is my Parlor before renovation:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As you can see, the walls were papered in a dark green and the woodwork was all painted an antique white. We knew the woodwork was originally stained, but some wainscotting in our foyer was added around 1900 and they used pine instead of the oak everywhere else in the house. So, even if we stripped all the woodwork in the house, it would not match. So my handy husband taught himself how to faux grain. Here is the door leading into the parlor grained and the portieres I stitched up. (Yes, they look like Scarlett's!)

Photobucket

One plus was that the floors in this room were in good shape and have extra special inlay.

Photobucket

The Bradbury & Bradbury paper we chose for this room is in an Italiante style of the 1870's. Our house was built in 1883, but still has some Italianate influences. Tastes changed slower in small Southern towns.

Here is the Dado (under the chair rail:

Photobucket

Here is a corner block in the ceiling paper:

Photobucket

Here is a lamp we hung. It was a kerosene burning lamp that had been electrified:

Photobucket

Here is the "finished" room - the quotes are because I don't ever feel finished. I still want to add some window treatments, but don't want to cut out any of the natural light or hide the gorgeous wide window frames and the mantle is still not stripped. But patience is a virtue!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for stopping by and Thanks to Susan at BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH!

27 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

What a gorgeous room! You did a beautiful job with it!!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What an incredible job you've done. The talent of your husband is beyond words. You have one beautiful home. Thanks so much for sharing. I appreciate you coming by this evening to see the table vignette and your kind words.. you are a dolly. Have a super evening. hugs ~lynne~

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Once again I am thoroughly amazed and impressed. Wow! I would never have known it wasn't real wood grain. Great job Hubby! There is someone I know from the HGTV Message Board named Bella who is also restoring a Victorian. Her tatses and yours are so similiar. You should visit her site and invite her to your blog also. Her website is www.pecanplacevictorian.com . Tell her Barb sent you. :-) Blessings, Barb

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

DH did a fantastic job with the door! Great idea with the faux treatment! I am in love with your ceiling...the blue is about the prettiest color I've ever seen. It's gorgeous! So glad you have the before pics...stunning transformation! Thanks for sharing this with us on MM! Susan

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh my goodness...amazing! Your home is a Victorian jewel!!! Gorgeous...Debbie

Kat said...

You've done a beautiful job with your home. I love the ceiling treatment, it's just lovely. And your husband did a fantastic job on the faux grain. Kathy

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I wasn't expecting to see such an incredible transformation. Your home looks like it should be on a historic register! Congratulations on a job well done.

kathy b

santamaker said...

You blow me away....beautiful doesn't even begin to describe this room. I love the windows without any treatments, it show cases the woodwork and architecture so well. Your mantle is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! How elegant and gorgeous is your room! It's fantastic! You did a marvelous job on all of the details and the color is just perfect!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, all the thought and detail that's gone into this room is fabulous. It is just stunning. Thanks for sharing. Marty

xinex said...

How lucky of you to own a historical home. Gorgeous! And you and your husband did an amazing job! The room looks beautiful and I love your floor....Christihe

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

This is amazing! I love what yuu are doing to your home. It must take a lot of studying to know how to go about restoring such a historic home. Cindy

Tardevil said...

A beautiful room!

Wendy said...

I can't believe the before and after pics. What a differnece! We can tell that you and your husband have put a lot of work into your home. It is beautiful.

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

How beautiful! The difference is just amazing. You are putting such detail and care into your home.
~Michelle

ellen b. said...

Oh boy another gorgeous room! I love your old historic home. I can imagine how important patience is in renovating things correctly! I look forward to seeing more :0)

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful room, you're doing such a great job restoring your house.

Bo said...

You and your hubby deserve an A++++
for perfect period restoration. The details are exquisite! ;-) Bo

pammiejo said...

I absolutely love your house. I admire your willingness and energy to restore it. You've done a magnificent job so far! PAM

Diana LaMarre said...

Just beautiful!

I can't even imagine all of the work you and your husband must have done to restore such a huge home. You are both very talented.

I can't even get the wall paper stripped from my dining room. It's overwhelming just thinking about where to start.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Oh my! What an incredible transformation! I love that ceiling paper!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

WOW! This is an amazing and beautiful transformation! :) ~Rhonda

Linda Q said...

Wow, I am in love, great transformation. There is so much work in restoring a historic home.
I dream of having one still but live vicariously through people like you and reading Victorian Homes mag.
Thanks for sharing!
Linda

Carrie said...

You've done an excellent job. The room looks fabulous!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a wonderful gift your grandmother gave you . The art of tatting and a memory as well. I love it.. wish I could do it, but honestly don't know that I can make time for one more hobby right now..lol.. thanks for the kind words darling. hugs ~lynne~

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

WOW!! What a beautiful room!!

A Hint of Home said...

What a wonderful makeover. I love what you did to the ceiling.