Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday - Daughter's Bed Room

This is my Metamorphosis Monday hosted by Susan at BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH.

Photobucket

What I am sharing today is the renovation of my older daughter's room. This had to be the ugliest room in the house when we first moved in, but it had great potential. It has a bay window, fireplace coffered ceiling. She was adamant that she did not want her decor to be Victorian like the downstairs, so we let her design it herself.

Before -
Photobucket

Photobucket

The air conditioning pan ran over before we bought the house and had warped some of the panels in the ceiling.

Photobucket

This was taken while we were stripping the wallpaper. There obviously used to be a picture rail - see the line and the different types of plaster over on the right. Also note that the plaster had never been painted. All throughout our house, we found unpainted scratch plaster that had never been painted.

Photobucket

We painted the trim white and the walls blue as she wanted. All the bedding came from Target. The little blue loveseat came from Pier1 and folds out into a bed. It has come in handy for sleepovers. We replaced the overhead light with a ceiling fan. Here is the after:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My daughter is now a Junior off at college, but still comes home - and brings friends! She is still enjoying this metamorphosis!
Thanks Susan for hosting another Metamorphosis Monday! I can't wait to see what wonders everyone will post! :D Jewel

29 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Redoing any room in an older home is such a chore, and you have done such a beautiful job in your entire house. Your daughter's room is just gorgeous, no wonder she still loves it. Hugs, Marty

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Beautiful! Love the crisp, clean look of the blue and white...such a happy room to be in! Wonderful transformation...just love seeing your gorgeous historic home transformations! :-) Susan

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

You daughter has a beautiful room...nicely done on the redo!

Susan

Lady Katherine said...

Your daughter's room is now so lovely! Your home must be wonderful! We are in a total make over of our Craftman's Bungalow! You have done a wonderful job!

Sue said...

What a difference you made...It looks so nice, you must have one happy daughter..

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What a lucky girl to have her own fireplace! Such an amazing transformation. I love the wall color she chose, so fun!
~Michelle

Martha said...

What a sweet room for a daughter. I'm sure she enjoys coming back to her childhood room when she comes back from college.

KBeau said...

What a great room. I love the bay window and the fireplace is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Oh, your daughter's room is precious! I love that shade of blue with the pink accents! It looks like such a nice sized room too! Y'all are just too good at this renovating! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Anonymous said...

Love what you did! I have an old house too that we bought a year ago so have become one of your faithful follwers to get all the inspiration I can!!

blessings
mary

DesignTies said...

I love old homes (I have one myself [1939], although not as old as yours!) and I'm pretty familiar with what's involved to restore them! I love what your daughter (with Mom & Dad's help, I'm sure!) did in her room. I got the impression that this remodel was done a few years ago - I just wanted to say that the colours your daughter are totally trendy right now! I recently wrote a post on white with colour - a few of the rooms I found remind me of your daughter's. Here's a link if you'd like to see: http://design-ties.blogspot.com/2009/02/loving-white-with-colour.html
Cheers,
Victoria from EdinDesigns @ DesignTies

Linda Q said...

Wow what a great redo. Old homes are alot of work, so hats off to you all. Lovely large room with the bay.
Linda Q

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Your daughter must feel like a princess in this room. You certainly transformed this room beautifully.

kari and kijsa said...

What a great project! Perfect make-over!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Jewel,
This is really so beautiful. I love the colors and the room has so much character. I love seeing your home. Cindy

Bo said...

Your daughter's room looks huge! It turned out so bright & pretty...
and I'm sure it was a lot of hard work...;-) Bo

susan said...

I just love the character of your home--the bay window, the tall ceilings, and on and on. And I love anything blue--am painting a bedroom blue now and struggling with getting the shade right!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Love the room! This reminds me of my Grandmother's house and the "front bedroom" that my sister and I used to sleep in.

Domestic Designer said...

Love the room. Love the blue and white. Have a great day!

santamaker said...

Your daughter must have been thrilled to have this room. It's so cheerful and has so much character.

xinex said...

What! What a great transforamtion!..Christine

Tammy said...

What? No way that's the same room! lol You did a wonderful job. It's beautiful! I love it!

Mom in High Heels said...

Beautiful. It's so cheery.

Tardevil said...

Love her "Carolina" blue room. She is lucky to have a bay window & a fireplace in her room. I'm sure she loves to come home to that! :O)

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

What a beautiful and spacious room!

Chandy said...

Great looking room redo! Awesome choice for today's Met Monday!

Lisa (aka) French said...

It amazes how the old can be brought back to life with simple color! What a great met monday post!! French;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Wow! This turned out so great! No wonder she loves coming home to it. I think anybody would feel happy to be in this room. laurie

Charlene said...

WOW that was a lot of work to do all that. The room did have great bones! That bay window is wonderful. I am so glad your daughter appreciated & enjoyed all your hard work.