Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fall Cakelets

Last week I shared with you my Nordic Cornucopia Pan from Williams Sonoma and this week and I am sharing my Fall Cakelet pan from the same source.

Photobucket

I will be linking this to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. Be sure and check our all the wonderful links!


Here are two view of my Fall Cakelet Pan:
Concave
Photobucket

Convex
Photobucket

The designs are Pine Cone, Acorn, Pumpkin and Walnut.


I modified the recipe which came with the pan which called for maple sugar and a maple frosting;
I used brown sugar instead and canned whipped cream cheese frosting instead.


Fall Cakelets


1 3/4 c. All Purpose Flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp, salt
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. milk
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. sugar
3 eggs


Have all ingredients at ROOM TEMPURATURE.


Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and Preheat to 350 degrees.


Prepare pan by coating all the nooks and crannies with Wilton's Cake Release. I used Baker's Joy once and it caused bubbles in the finished product. You can also grease and flour the pan.


Sift all the dry ingredients together.


Add the vanilla to the milk.


In a mixer with a paddle blade, cream the butter for a minute on medium speed, then add the sugars and cream for 5 minutes.


Add the eggs one at a time, making sure that each is integrated into the butter mixture before adding the next. Scrape down the bowl often.


Cut the mixer onto low speed and add 1/3 of the flour mixture slowly. Scrape down the bowl. When all the flour is incorporated, add 1/2 the milk slowly and beat until it is incorporated. Scrape down the bowl.


Add the next 1/3 of the flour mixture slowly and scrape when it is incorporated. Then add the other 1/2 of the milk and scrape when it is incorporated. Slowly add the last 1/3 of the flour mixture.


Scrape down the bowl and make sure all ingredients have been incorporated.


Spoon a scant 1 1/2 Tbsp. batter into each cakelet mold. I have a small scooper which is the perfect amount. Don't over-fill the molds. Tap the pan several times to release bubbles and level the batter.


Bake for 12 mins. until center is set on each cakelet.


Let cool on wire rack for 10-15 mins. Then place the wire rack on the top of the pan and invert.


Wash and re-prepare the pan. This is the worst part, but they are so cute it is worth it!
Repeat until all the batter is gone. Makes about 60 cakelets (2 1/2 pans).


Williams Sonoma suggests you trim off the little bit that peaks up before you frost them, but I didn't want to lose any of the cakelet so I just slapped the frosting on and let that "level" things out.


Also, you don't need to frost - the cakelets are good on their own.


If you don't want to buy the pan, you could bake them in a mini-muffin pan. The cakelets are very light and fluffy.


Here is a close-up of some of the finished cakelets.
Photobucket


And here is a whole platter:


Photobucket

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Very festive-enjoy:@)

Kathiey's World said...

Hi there,
I live in NC also. We are in the RTP area. I love that you are restoring a home....how fun:-)
I was visiting Foodie Friday and came across your site. I will be one of your new followers.
Thanks for your post:-)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You have some MAJOR fun cooking equipment! I love this pan. I'll have to add it to my wish list. Your cakelets turned out beautifully.

Lady Katherine said...

I love this! I saw the pan, wish I had bought it! Wonderful! You should have linked it to Tea Time Tuesday!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Love the look of these little cakes. Would love to bite into one.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi CJ,
It's been a while since I visited. Love the fall pans. It looks like you did a ton of work to make those cakelets, but with that pan, I bet it was easy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

HEY! Im your newest follower and Ohh Emm Gee!!! I am NOT a cook (but would love to learn and im trying!) However my Skills are NOT there yet! Could you just FedEx those goodies to me IMMEDATELY! YUMM! I would love for you to visit my 14 days of xmas trees, my Etsy and I have a GIVEAWAY!!

*ENTER CUSTOM FLORAL Give-Away Here *

xoxokara

Sue said...

These are too cute.....I like how you filled the centers...I saw this pan in WalMart the other day along with tons of different Nordic Ware pans....I was surprised that they carried them...and they were marked down...I think I need to go back and buy a few...Thank you for posting the recipe....Hope your holiday was a fun on and that your looking forward to Christmas....