Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shrimp Creole for Foodie Friday

Photobucket

In celebration of Mardi Gras this past Tuesday, I am sharing my recipe for Shrimp Creole for Foodie Friday hosted by Gollum at Designs by Gollum.
Photobucket

My Shrimp Creole recipe is adapted from the "Time Life Cooking of Creole and Acadia".

Shrimp Creole
Serves 2-4

1 28 ounce canned crushed or diced tomatoes
1 1/2 pounds uncooked medium sized shrimp
Olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup water
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground red cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Creole seasoning
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed in 1/4 cup cold water

4 cups cooked white rice

Shell and devein the shrimp. Rinse and dry.

In a heavy pan, heat enough olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pan. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the onion are translucent. Stir in the tomatoes, water, bay leaves, paprika, red pepper, Creole seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened enough to hold its shape on a spoon.

Add the shrimp and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and firm. Don't over cook or the shrimp will get tough.

Stir the cornstarch and cold water to recombine and add to the mixture. Stir thoroughly and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately over rice.

Enjoy! Mardi Gras decorations optional!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

This looks wonderful-it's going right on my must-try list for next week. Thank you!
xoxo Pattie and Allie

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, how wonderful! I love the Mardi Gras theme!!

Unknown said...

Shrimp creole and Mardi Gras go together, what a GREAT!!! recipe and I LOVE!!! the Mardi Gras theme.
Geri

Sue said...

My mother used to make shrimp creole all the time when I was growing up...I loved it but rarely make it since the Boss hates shrimp.....I do make it on occasion with chicken and it's just as good....And I love the Mardi Gras table you did in the last post....loved the gold striped tablecloth.....Sue

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, dish me up a plate please. That looks delicious! By the way, if your husband runs out of silver to polish at your house, please send him to my house. How great that he enjoys it. laurie