Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Some Valentine's Day Decorating and Tea Cups!

I won't post my Valentine's Day table until Tablescape Thursday, but I do have some decorations throughout the house. So today I thought I would share my tea cup cabinet. It is in a dark corner and hard to photograph, but here is my best attempt!

Photobucket

When I was a baby, a family friend, who had no children, decided to start buying tea cups for me. Technically, I think most of them are demitasse cups, but my family always called them tea cups. She passed away before I was 4, and my family boxed up these tea cups, so I never knew about them until I was 24 and got married. My mother pulled a box out and told me about them. As I newlywed, I was being showered with china, silver and crystal, so I didn't really appreciate them. I hauled this box whenever we moved, but finally when I was 30 and a stay at home mother, I unpacked the box. What a treasure and given to me by someone I never knew!

In my Victorian home, I have a china cabinet from the 1920's that houses all of them. For different occasions I display some on top with other goodies I have found through the years. Here is what I pulled out for Valentine's Day. Any information would be welcomed!!!

This is one of my very favorites! It is so thin and delicate!

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the backmark on the cup; there is none on the saucer.
Photobucket

This next one seemed very appropriate for Valentine's Day also with the pink and the flowers.
Photobucket
Here is the saucer - it is too pretty to stay covered all the time!
Photobucket
The backmark on the saucer
Photobucket

This next one reminds me of my grandmother's wedding china from 1920 which my sister inherited.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The last cup always seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the cups, because it is larger, but the rose is so perfect for Valentine's Day!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some photos of the top of the cabinet. Again, hard to photograph, but with these cups I have added some various mini tea sets and a tea pot, a chintz mug and some novelty cups.

Photobucket

Photobucket

In the middle I have some silk roses in a carafe that I thought made a nice vase!
Photobucket

Hope you have enjoyed some of my decorations! I will post more later! :D Jewel

11 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Loved seeing your tea cups!

More please :)

susan

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I loved seeing all your beautiful teacups.. What a wonderful friend to have started a great collection for you..We could certainly have our pick of cups and saucers while visiting..Have a super w/k. my friend.. I truly enjoyed this post..hugs ~lynne~

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what gorgeous teacups. I love all of them. Such pretty decorations with all the beautiful flowers and so delicate. I think all the miniature pieces are so special also. What a thoughtful lady to leave you with such treasures. Hugs, Marty

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love this story, how cool to have this china from someone you never even knew. I love touring your beautiful home. Cindy

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I LOVED this little peek into your china cabinet...you truly have some wonderful treasures. I think one of the best things about blogging is getting to share such lovelies with all your fellow bloggers...what a treat! Your Mom's friend had excellent taste!
I have to tell you, the story you told about the deb party was sooooo intriguing and interesting and a tad funny! Your Mom was a very wise woman...she knew! I am happy with my three little treasures. I realized I don't need a whole bunch of place settings...just a piece or two and I'm happy! :-) Been meaning to stop by to let you know the snowflake cutters came...and quickly. I just need to get in the kitchen and get busy baking and cutting...maybe tomorrow. :-)

Bo said...

Thank you for sharing your remarkable collection with us... each one is lovely...the wallpaper in the background of your china cabinet is beautiful. ;-) Bo

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

You have some beautiful tea cups! What a nice idea to give them to a little girl! I am glad you are enjoying them! I tell my daughter to box up my plates when I'm gone and wait 20 years in hopes that she'll appreciate them then! Have a good weekend...Debbie

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What a beautiful story. That was so sweet to collect them for you. And your cabinet is gorgeous. I love all the tea cups you picked out for the holiday.
~Michelle

JudyBug said...

Love the teacups. I especially like the pink one marked "Chelsea". Gorgeous!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh I know you had a great time prom dress shopping. My daughter is a courtwarming candidate. The event is this Friday..many tears.. yes darling many tears. They grow so fast.. Thanks for the visit today to see the hutch of blue memories..
hugs ~lynne~

kate said...

what beautiful wallpaper, you have behind though lovely cups
kate
see our blog about tea and wallpaper