Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Tea Time Tuesday!

To celebrate the first Tea Time Tuesday, hosted by Barb at Grits and Glamour, I am "recycling" part of an old post from back in February.

Photobucket

This is my tea cup cabinet. It is in a dark corner and hard to photograph, but here is my best attempt!

Photobucket

When I was a baby, a family friend, who had no children, decided to start buying tea cups for me. Technically, I think most of them are demitasse cups, but my family always called them tea cups. She passed away before I was 4, and my family boxed up these tea cups, so I never knew about them until I was 24 and got married. My mother pulled a box out and told me about them. As I newlywed, I was being showered with china, silver and crystal, so I didn't really appreciate them. I hauled this box whenever we moved, but finally when I was 30 and a stay at home mother, I unpacked the box. What a treasure and given to me by someone I never knew!

In my Victorian home, I have a china cabinet from the 1920's that houses all of them. For different occasions I display some on top with other goodies I have found through the years. Here is what I pulled out for Valentine's Day. Any information would be welcomed!!!

This is one of my very favorites! It is so thin and delicate!

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the backmark on the cup; there is none on the saucer.
Photobucket

This next one seemed very appropriate for Valentine's Day also with the pink and the flowers.
Photobucket
Here is the saucer - it is too pretty to stay covered all the time!
Photobucket
The backmark on the saucer
Photobucket

This next one reminds me of my grandmother's wedding china from 1920 which my sister inherited.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The last cup always seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the cups, because it is larger, but the rose is so perfect for Valentine's Day!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hope you have enjoyed some of my decorations! Thank you Barb for starting Tea Time Tuesday at Grits and Glamour! :D Jewel

5 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What treasures these are! And perfect for your victorian home.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Jewel.
That is such a neat story and one to share with your grandkiddies someday. Those are such beautiful teacups, I really love that first one. I think I am the bargain Diva (LOL) mostly out of necessity. Hope your week is a good one. Hugs, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jewel this is wonderful! How you must have been loved to be the recipient of a collection of wonderful tea cups! I love that cabinet too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Hi Jewel - what a perfect post for the first ever Tea Time Tuesday. Thanks so much for joining in.

I remember seeing this hutch and thinking you had such a wonderful collection. Even better that it was inherited. You have some amazing teacups. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Blessings, Barb

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, they are beautiful, and what a beautiful story to go along with them. I love that first pink one with the ruffly top. You're right, it is so delecate looking. Thanks for sharing these. laurie