Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

3-D Pumpkin Bundt Cake

For Foodie Friday:
Thank you Gollum for hosting Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

For my first Fall food I decided to make a 3-D Pumpkin Bundt Cake. I bought the 3-D Pumpkin Bundt pans from Target, but instead of following the directions on the back I just used a French Vanilla Cake mix with 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon and a grating of fresh nutmeg added to the batter.

I did follow the directions for their glaze though:

2 cups confectioners sugar
2-4 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
red & yellow food coloring

Mix together well. It will be thick.

I used half to cement the two mini bundt layers together and the other half to glaze the top. I did have to saw the bump off of each layer so that it matched up level in the middle before I added the glaze to hold them together.

I took green marzipan and rolled two snakes for vines. Then I rolled out some green marzipan and used a mini fall leaf cookie cutter to make the pumpkin leaves.

Here is the finished cake!

Pumpkin Cake 2

Pumpkin Cake 1

I'm not sure it looks more like a pumpkin than a regular Bundt cake, but I had fun and it tasted good! :D Jewel

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, your cake is darling! I love it! I think it looks fantastic and I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. I'd almost hate to cut into it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh that's adorable! And I LOVE that cake slicer you have... the pumpkin handle is so cute.

Cass

Carolina Mama said...

You did great. It's beautiful! We love pumpkin and bundt cakes! :) Thanks for sharing.

xinex said...

Hoe pretty and looks delicious too!...Christine

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Wow! Fabulous cake! Love the vines, too! Pumpkin cake knife is super cute! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Caroline,
Your cake is just awesome looking! Too bad the computer wouldn't let us have a little sample! hehe. Thanks for coming by, Cindy

susan said...

So cute!! I will try this. I have the fall cutters but have never worked with marzipan--too pretty not to try!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Gorgeous! I love the twists you added. The fondant icing is the crowning glory.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh how cute!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful cake. The thought that went into its decoration is impressive. The vines take it to another whole level. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us and welcome to Foodie Friday. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

SnoWhite said...

cute!

how did it taste?? Did it taste like pumpkin? I ask because my hubby is allergic to pumpkin, and I'm always looking for festive substitutes!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

So pretty and different and very clever decorating. Your cake looks so festive.
~ ~Ahrisha~~

Miss Janice said...

Love that cake...great job. I also love the cake slicer/server--it's perfect for the season:)