Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Evesham Gold - My Wedding China

Last week I mentioned that I already had a full service for 12 of Formal China before I got married. You can see that china HERE. So when I got engaged, my mother and I went to Wagoner's Jewelry Store to pick my patterns. She told me not to pick another formal pattern, but just pick a nice everyday pattern. I chose Royal Worcester Evesham and my fiancé approved.

Royal Worcester introduced the Evesham pattern in 1961. My mother started getting pieces of this in the late 60's/early 70's, so it was a pattern I was very familiar with. The pieces are covered with fruits and vegetables, and it is named after a town and township in central England which is known for market farming.


In 1982, I thought this would be a great everyday pattern - pretty, but not too fussy or fancy. But, notice the gold rim? I had no idea what was about to hit kitchens all over America!


That's right - Microwaves!

And as we all know, you can't microwave plates or mugs with gold on them! Once I got a microwave, I used plastic or glass dishes to microwave on and put the food on the Evesham plates. My girls grew up knowing these rules and we never had a problem. 
Royal Worcester introduced a new type of Evesham called Evesham Vale which had a green, mircrowave-safe rim. So, the Evesham I had was renamed Evesham Gold.

One of the things I have always loved about this pattern is that it was available on lots of serving pieces. And since I was from a small town and had a big wedding I got LOTS of serving pieces which have graced my corner cabinets through the years! 

Here is a picture of several serving pieces on my buffet. Notice the ears of corn on the Bean Pot.

And here is the smaller quiche dish

I love that each piece has a different combination of fruits and vegetables.





After 20 years of marriage, I picked a new microwave-safe everyday pattern, Pink Tower, which I blogged about HERE. But my older daughter tells me it always makes her happy to eat on Evesham since it reminds her of her childhood!



No comments: