Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Nothing Could Be Finer!

I don't know it for a fact, since I have lived in North Carolina my entire life, but the song says nothing could be finer! So, I set a table dedicated to my home state. I will be sharing this with Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch and Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life and Let's Dish at Cuisine Kathleen!
Our state flower is the dogwood, so I went to my yard and cut some flowering branches. Then I went next door and cut some yellow Carolina Jessamine, which is the state flower of our neighbor South Carolina, but since it grows here and has the name Carolina, I am claiming it for the day! Speaking of neighbors, we share the state flower of flowering dogwood with our neighboring state, Virginia.
We also share our state bird, the cardinal with Virginia and five other states. I believe it is the most popular state bird in the US. It adds a nice pop of red to my North Carolina table as a salt shaker, too! I added a pine cone pepper shaker, since the Pine Tree is our state tree.
Which leads me to the place setting. I chose my plates with pine cones and boughs and placed them on a ruffled light blue place mat. It is a shade of blue that we call "Carolina Blue" and is the official color of our oldest state university - the University of North Carolina. UNC or Carolina is the America's oldest public university.
I added touches of gold on the table because the first gold strike in the United States was in North Carolina at Reed Gold Mine. You can visit the mine now as one of NC's Historic Sites.
I hope you have enjoyed my North Carolina table!

13 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I love your North Carolina table. The little red cardinal adds just the spark of color to your gorgeous blue and white.

Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

Hi Jewel! It looks might fine in Carolina! Love those ruffled blue mats, and the fresh flowers muct smell wonderful!
I started a new party on Wed. at 7 called Let's Dish! Come over and link up. It can be a setting for one to whatever, or share a dish collection or centerpiece, anything table related!

Sarah said...

Beautiful NC table, Jewel. I'd love to be dining with you.

Tea in Texas said...

Love the use of dogwood and jasmine! The pine and cones plates are perfect with the centerpiece and North Carolina. Happy Tea Party! Pam

Unknown said...

Love your colors THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR LOVELY TABLE JOANN

Alycia Nichols said...

Wonderful homage to your home state! Missouri also shares the dogwood, but as it's official tree rather than flower. We love our dogwoods here for sure!!! I have some plates with dogwood that I have never used. You inspire me to go pull those puppies out and dream something up...but I'm too lazy today. Maybe next week! :-) The Carolina blue looks great!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love the arrangement, and also the ruffled placemats. A lovely setting!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Now this was a fun and educational tablescape! I loved learning more about your wonderful state! I once lived in North Carolina and can attest to it's beauty. I now live in Georgia and think this would be a fun theme to do for a tablescape! Hugs, Linda

Marigene said...

Thanks for sharing some of the history of your state...none of which I knew!
Love the aqua frilly placemats, they really compliment the pine cone plates.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty -- our dogwoods are in bloom here too. Wouldn't it be fun if everyone did a state inspired tablescape one week? Your table is a lovely tribute to North Carolina.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

I love your spring decor with those blooming flowers! Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)
Have a nice day.

Entertaining Women said...

Absolutely charming! Thank you for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

Victoria Mische said...

Hi Jewel, though this is my first time to visit your blog but I can't stop my hands to write any simple comment to support you. Your tablescape is truly amazing and I can see that you really are passionate on table decorating! You did it wonderful! I know you had fun doing that stuff. Have a nice day!

Folding Chair Cover