Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Valentine's Day with Cream Soup!

I am getting ready for Valentine's Day and, of course, will be linking to Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch. Also joining the Valentine's Day Party at Laurie' Blog- Bargain Hunting (and Chatting) with Laurie.
I am using my Spode Pink Tower china for this Valentine's Day table and I have a new addition to this pattern - cream soups and saucers. Growing up, my grandmother always talked about her "good" china and added, "I even have the cream soups." I remember one of her cousins offered to buy the cream soups and saucers and her refusing. I didn't know why they were so special, but I always hoped I would one day have the cream soups in my pattern. Of course, I have LOTS of patterns now, but until last week, NO cream soups. One reason was cost and the other reason was rarity. They aren't made in every pattern and when they are, they are very expensive. Luckily, a few weeks ago, I saw a listing on Ebay for a good price and when they arrived they were all in good shape! NOW I have my cream soups and their saucers! Below is the whole table.
The place setting - I am using my platinum beaded place mats, gold chargers, red hock wine and gold and silver rimmed water glasses with a gold napkin and a red napkin ring.
What the dinner plate looks like without the soup cup and saucer
A cream soup cup and saucer
Here is my centerpiece - my gold ornament tree hung with blown glass hearts in red, silver and pink
A few more shots of the table
Here is another prized piece of this pattern - my covered vegetable dish.
Now that I have the cream soup and saucers in this set, dare I dream to get the tureen? Maybe one day!!!
Happy Valentine's Day!

10 comments:

Marigene said...

What a beautiful table. Your dishes are gorgeous. I am happy that you were fortunate enough to have found the cream soups/underplates...they really do add so much to the setting, plus it is nice to eat soup out of them!

Kathleen said...

I love cream soups! The only ones I have were sent to me by my friend Marigene, above!
Your table is so pretty, the cups are the icing on the cake. I love that china, perfect for Valentine's Day!
Thanks, for sharing , Jewel, hope you are well!

Anonymous said...

I am with Kathleen...I love the cream soups! Gorgeous table!

Tricia said...

So glad you finally have some cream soups! They ARE among the sweetest pieces, I think. The covered vegetable bowl is stunning, too. I vote you go for the tureen, too! Your table really shows off this gorgeous pattern!

Alycia Nichols said...

I am so happy for you that you were finally able to get some cream soup bowls! I STILL don't have any (for the reasons you cited), but I am holding out hope! Very nice! Have a happy Valentine's Day!!!

Tess said...

Your dishes are beautiful!!! I love cream soup bowls too. (as well as cream soup!) these are so lovely.

Taunnie said...

I didn't know until today that they made cream soup bowls. I guess the art of gracious entertaining is disappearing. Thank you for opening my eyes! I also think your vegetable server is gorgeous! Happy Valentine's Day.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Jewel, you can't get any better than red transferware for V'tine's Day. Those cream soups are beautiful. There is just something about the two handle cup that has always appealed to me. how lucky that you were able to get them and that they were in such great shape! Your tree of hearts is such a pretty centerpiece. Thank you for linking this lovely table to the party. laurie

Victoria Mische said...

I have to admit that overall I'm really impressed with this particular site especially on your table settings! It is easy to observe that youre enthusiastic about making this stuff and that's what I want in every blogger!

Victoria -->>
http://www.yourchaircovers.com/

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh your pattern is so prety for a Valentine's table. I love your cream soup bowls. They're so lovely on your table. Thanks for your sweet visit last week.