Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summers of my childhood - Watermelons and Crepe Myrtles

Before saying good-bye to summer, I had to do a table based on Watermelons and Crepe Myrtles. (I had to look up how to spell crepe myrtle and either crape or crepe is acceptable!)

Photobucket

I always associate the two, because I remember one summer my grandmother planting watermelon pink crepe myrtles at her homeplace. So even though the lavender and white crepe myrtles are nice, it is the "watermelon" pink crepe myrtle that reminds me of my childhood!

I will be linking to Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch.

I started with a white tablecloth and added a large tea towel from Crate & Barrel as a runner of sorts.

Photobucket

As a centerpiece I filled a green glass vase with 2 shades of pink crepe myrtles and a few magnolia leaves.

For each place setting, I used my green ruffled chargers from Crate & Barrel with Gibson white china plates, topped with glass watermelon salad plates from Pier 1.

Photobucket

I used green bubbled glass goblets and clear flatware both from Target along with Vera Bradley "Botanical" print napkins and Target watermelon napkin rings.

Photobucket

On the mantle I draped pink chiffon and filled a green pottery vase with more magnolia and crepe myrtle and flanked the vase with two extra watermelon plates.

Photobucket

Here is my table tribute to my childhood summer memories - Watermelon and Crepe Myrtle!

Photobucket

18 comments:

afternoon tea said...

I've never heard of Crepe Myrtle, what a lovely flower. And what a lovely table setting!
AT

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love Crepe Myrtle -- it really does well here, I believe I shall plant one. This is such a pretty table. I need to check my Target for that pretty flatware....did you find that recently?

Entertaining Women said...

I have the pink crepe myrtles blooming in my yard each summer. I love the way that you used them with the watermelon motif. I'll have to figure out how to give your idea a try with my things. Thanks for the inspiration! Cherry Kay

Alycia Nichols said...

You guys in the South are so lucky to have an abundance of both crepe myrtle AND magnolia trees!!! They are both so nice for decorating! And since it is so warm in the South, I'll bet you're able to enjoy them both year round. Lucky!!! I love the little watermelon plates from Pier 1! They are really cute! Perfect for your table!!!

Bonnie said...

Striking tablescape. I love your napkins and all your choices. I must check out the flatware and glasses at Target. Especially like the crepe myrtle and magnolia. Very nice.

Marlis said...

Our crepe myrtles have succumbed to the heat! yours look fabulous.. love the watermelon pieces. It all looks so wonderful.. xo marlis

Maria said...

Those watermelon dishes from Pier1 are wonderful! I did a watermelon tablescape this summer so I was very eager to see yours! It's so beautiful! Everything looks awesome!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a fun and festive table. Your dishes are just so happy.. love the napkin rings. Your crepe myrtles are beautiful, mine have just barely started to bloom.
hugs ~lynne~

Mary said...

Love your watermelon plates paired with the crepe myrtle blooms! Your vase of blooms even looks like the watermelon rind :-) Love the pattern & colors in your napkins too~

Cass @ That Old House said...

I love crepe myrtle -- do they last as cut flowers? There's a farmer near our beach house selling HUGE crepe myrtles in pots at the side of the road -- $50 -- honor system.

LOVE this tablescape, in part because it brings me back to the summerhouse kitchen we had when I was a kid --my Mom painted everything watermelon pink and green -- even the fridge!

Loved it. I wish I had pictures of it.

And to you too -- be safe! Let's keep hoping that bad ol' Irene stays out to sea. Boo on her.

Cass

FABBY'S LIVING said...

What a beautiful flower, I never heard of crepe myrtle, I just learned something! Your table is beautiful, cheery and so inviting! I love the dishes, stems and tabletopper, along with the napkins they just bring everything together perfectly!
Thank you for coming over and for the sweet comments. Have a great weekend, it's almost here. FABBY

Kathleen said...

Love your watermelon table! I need those napkin rings! So cute.
I am starting to see Crepe Myrtle here, I always thought they were just in the South. I want to get one!
Hope you are well, Jewel!

Kathe said...

We don't have crepe myrtle here so it is lovely to see on your table. I see you have a place set for me! LOL! Thanks for visiting and commenting at my new blog!

xinex said...

Beautiful water melon plates, Jewel! Love the vibrant colors. I love your table runner too....Christine

Carrie said...

Great pairing of the crepe myrtles and watermelon items to evoke your childhood memories!
Thanks for visiting Oak Rise Cottage and for your lovely comment.

labbie1 said...

Fun and refreshing! I always like to use watermelons in summer--especially around the 4th of July. The crepe myrtle is just beautiful with the magnolia leaves.

The Tablescaper said...

The crepe myrtle is lovely. Beautiful napkins, Great colors.

- The Tablescaper

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

A delightful table Jewel. Loving that clear flatware. laurie